Tuesday, May 29, 2012

The plus size model and the fashion world

Here is an article about a Canadian study conducted to see the effects of plus size models and straight size models on the average woman.

Here's an excerpt from the article:

"My study found that women increased their purchase intentions by more than 200 percent when the models in the mock ads were their size. In the subgroup over size 6, women increased their purchase intentions by a dramatic 300 percent when they saw curvier models. Conversely, when women saw models who didn’t reflect their size, they decreased their purchase intentions by 60 percent, and women over size 6 dropped their purchase intentions by 76 percent. "

The article can be found here
http://www.ellecanada.com/living/culture/can-using-different-types-of-models-benefit-brands/a/58327/3

I thought it was very interesting because I've been saying all along if I'm shopping for plus size clothing and the retailer uses straight sized models (size 0 or 2) I am not very likely to purchase anything. I don't have any issues with non-plus fashion models however someone who is a size 2 does not provide to me a size 18 a good example of how this garment is going to look on me. I would rather see clothes on a human body rather than a hanger or mannequin and in that same vein if I'm shopping for myself I'd much rather see clothing on a plus size body.

What do you think about the findings of this study? Does seeing a plus size model give you a better idea of how something will look on you? Do you prefer plus size models when shopping for plus size clothing?
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment