Friday, January 11, 2013

Slow cooker beef stew in the Ninja 3 in 1 cooking system

It's that time of year when it's cold and all I want to eat is a yummy, hearty stew. So here is a lovely beef stew recipe I came up with the other day. I've made the recipe for beef stew from the ninja cookbook and liked it well enough but wanted to put my own spin on it.

When I started making it I wasn't even sure if I was making a stew, I just knew I wanted to use the grass fed stew meat I bought at Trader Joe's  and the beautiful baby potatoes I found at the 99 cent store.

Anyway that's how this recipe came to be, I hope you enjoy it!

2013-01-09 21.33.221


Hearty beef stew in the Ninja 3 in 1 cooking system

1 1/2 lb beef stew meat (preferably grass fed if you can get it)
2 lbs of baby potatoes (If you can't find baby potatoes you can use red skin potatoes quartered)
3 cloves of garlic minced
1 red onion chopped into big chunks
1 cup of sliced crimini mushrooms
1 10.5 oz container of cherry tomatoes
2 tbspns of fresh thyme (or 1 tbsp of dry)
2 tbspns of fresh rosemary (or 1 tbsp of dry)
3 tbspns of flour
1 tbsp sea salt
2 tbspns olive oil
1 tbsp of freshly ground pepper
2 cups of red wine
2 cups of water

Set your Ninja to the stove top setting on high add the olive oil and let it heat up for 3-5 minutes

In the meantime season the beef with salt and pepper then coat with flour.

Add the beef to the Ninja and let it brown (this will take about 4-6 minutes). When it's nice and browned turn it over and let it brown on the other side.

Add the onion and make a little space in the pot for the garlic. Add the garlic and let it cook for 30 seconds or so until it begins to release it's aroma.

Next add the potatoes, tomatoes, mushrooms, wine, water, thyme and rosemary  (If you want the tomatoes to be recognizable you can add them in the last hour of cooking).

Change the Ninja setting to slow cook low 8-9 hours, high 4-5 hours



No comments:

Post a Comment